Elementary school principal killed; Husband ‘confesses’ in tweet

BELLINGHAM, Wash. — Chilling tweets are now linked to the murder of a beloved school principal. Police say it may be a confession from her husband.

The woman killed in her home yesterday was Lynn Heimsoth, principal at a Bellingham Elementary School.

Her husband is hospitalized after police say he turned the gun on himself.

Flowers and notes line the steps to the Sunnyland Elementary School.

She also worked as a principal in Marysville and Kitsap County before that.

So her death is affecting a lot of people on both sides of the Puget Sound.

They have come much of this sad day leaving flowers and messages for an educator who made a difference in the lives of children.

Seven-year-old Sagan came here with her mom, to leave her own note.

“It said 'Dear Lynn, the school loves you and I love you, too. Love Sagan.”

Fifty-eight-year-old Heimsoth was in her third year as principal at the Sunnyland Elementary School. But she had already made a lasting impact here; a video of her and the therapy dog she brought each day to school, a vivid example of that.

“And she was out there with recess every time the kids are out there,” said Larisa Slesarchuk, a parent of three elementary school daughters whose voice was breaking. “She put a lot of effort in working to, working with the children.”

But there was apparently a darker side to her life.

On Thursday, Whatcom County Sheriff’s deputies found her, her dog, and a cat shot dead inside their waterfront condominium.

Deputies confirm in a Twitter post left a day ago, her 56-year-old husband, Kevin, all but confessed.

“Guns don’t kill people, people do,” he wrote. “I jsit (sic) killed my whole family, and I couldn’t have done it without a gun! So, thanks to everyone at the NRA.”

He shot himself but he survived.

Word of the shootings spread quickly at their condominium.

“I guess shock is the big thing,” said John Ferdon, a member of the homeowners association board. “And me talking with people, it’s again not being able to understand how this could happen to those two individuals.”

It is a question so many are asking tonight.

They say they will miss her.

“Absolutely,” said Larisa Slesarchuk. “Very much. Everybody will.”

So many heartfelt messages are being left here.

As for her husband, he was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center.

At last check, he was in critical condition and still under police guard.