Driver comes off overpass, crashes into two vehicles on I-5 near Northgate; near 8-hour closure

An overnight collision on Interstate 5 near Northgate shut down the freeway for over seven-and-a-half hours as crews worked to clear the scene.

According to the Washington State Patrol, the incident occurred around 1 a.m. when a driver came off the overpass near 130th and struck two vehicles on the northbound freeway.

According to the Seattle Fire Department, there were two overturned vehicles and other vehicles involved in the collision.

Medics with Seattle Fire were able to extricate the drivers of the overturned vehicles. Those two people are in serious condition.

According to Washington State Patrol Trooper Rick Johnson, the driver of the vehicle that caused the collision has non-life-threatening injuries.

At 6 a.m., the scene was still deadlocked, with crews diverting traffic off I-5 at Northgate.

At around 8:30 a.m., all lanes were reopened to traffic.

According to trooper Rick Johnson, the causing driver is suspected of impairment. The driver is at a hospital and under arrest.

“How long have you been stuck in traffic?” KIRO 7 asked a driver.

“Just one hour,” they said.

“I left my house at 6 o’clock in West Seattle and it’s 7 o’clock now,” said driver Tracie Champion.

Drivers this morning turned to side streets to get around the closure.

“Well in the last probably 40 minutes from just south of Northgate just to get off and get over here,” said a driver.

“(The driver) is suspected of impairment, so at this point in time at the hospital, but in custody for at the very least for vehicular assault right now and possibly, obviously if something changes, it could be vehicular homicide,” said Washington State Trooper Rick Johnson.

Motorists were shocked when they heard what caused the closure.

“That’s terrible, yeah. That’s really sad, I’m hoping everybody is OK,” said a driver.

“It’s really sad, it’s really hard to just think about the people in the accident and what they are feeling, and are going through,” said Tania Higgins.