2 suspects in Seattle shooting arrested in Las Vegas awaiting extradition to Washington

SEATTLE — The remaining two suspects in the downtown Seattle shooting that killed one and hurt seven others are awaiting extradition to Washington after they were arrested in Las Vegas.

The U.S. Marshals Service confirmed to KIRO 7 that 24-year-olds Marquise Tolbert and William Toliver were arrested Saturday.

"I was really relieved to see we'd captured the fugitives and that they would be brought back to Seattle to face justice," said Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan.

The U.S. Marshals Service provided more details Monday about the circumstances that led to the arrests, which were a joint effort between the U.S. Marshals Western District of Washington Violent Offender Task Force, the Seattle Police Department and the Washington State Department of Corrections.

Officials said that deputies were able to locate the pair at a hotel in Las Vegas, and believed the two men had met up with an associate and may have been in the area since Jan. 26.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department observed them the morning of Feb. 1 exiting the Rio Hotel on Flamingo Road. Both were taken into custody and booked into the Clark County Detention Center where they are awaiting extradition to Seattle.

"I am proud to say our task force worked diligently, chasing down every lead, while working through the night to ensure the arrest of these two violent fugitives. Justice will be served and these arrests will help to bring closure to the city of Seattle, as well as begin the healing process for all of the victims and their families," Chief Jacob Green with the U.S. Marshals Service said.

Toliver and Tolbert appeared in court in Las Vegas Tuesday, and each said they wouldn’t contest extradition to Seattle. The judge signed an order for Washington state to pick the men up within 30 days.

On Monday, the owner of the McDonald’s at Third Avenue and Pine Street announced he’d be donating $20,000 to the victims of the shooting.

"There were two reasons for the donation -- compassion for the victims and to try to give them a little bit of a hand and to hopefully stimulate a conversation among the rest of the business people down here in the corridor," said David Santillanes, McDonald's owner.

Since the shooting on Jan. 22, some have asked city leaders if that McDonald's location should be closed. Santillanes was passionate about his response.

“We are not the problem. We do what we have to do. We have security in the building, we push out the element and there’s no cops on the street to clean the streets off, because their hands are tied,” Santillanes said.

He blamed city leaders for not having police enforce laws like loitering and trespassing. He wants a long-term solution and hopes to work with other business owners to demand change.