Buffalo activist Martin Gugino, injured during protest, released from hospital

Buffalo activist Martin Gugino, injured during protest, released from hospital
Two police officers in the city of Buffalo were charged with second-degree assault on Saturday morning. (Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images)

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Martin Gugino, the 75-year-old protester who was shown in a video being shoved to the ground by two police officers during a demonstration in Buffalo, New York, has been released from an area hospital, his attorney said Tuesday.

According to his attorney, Kelly Zarcone, Gugino was released from the Erie County Medical Center on Tuesday and “will be recovering at an undisclosed location to ensure his privacy.”

A video taken by a WBFO reporter of Gugino toppling to the pavement went viral after it was posted on Twitter, the Buffalo News reported.

Content Continues Below

Two police officers in Buffalo were arraigned and charged with assault on June 6, two days after the video surfaced.

Officers Aaron Torgalski and Robert McCabe both pled not guilty to felony second-degree assault charges, the Buffalo News reported. Both men pled not guilty via video conference and were released without bail by City judge Craig D. Hannah, CNN reported.

“Martin said that he is pleased at the progress made so far to protect the safety of peaceful protesters, a topic near and dear to his heart,” Zarcone said in a statement. “He respects the burden of authority placed upon law enforcement but looks forward to the continued implementation of systemic changes to eliminate police brutality.