UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. - A man jumped from the window of a University Place apartment to avoid getting arrested and was shot when he returned hours later, authorities said.
The string of incidents began just before noon Friday when a 65-year-old woman called her brother for help, said Pierce County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Ed Troyer.
The woman’s daughter, 35, and the daughter’s boyfriend allegedly were trafficking in stolen property from the older woman’s home in the 3300 block of 72nd Court West, Troyer said.
The woman was afraid they might hurt her. Her brother called police after she contacted him.
When deputies arrived at the apartment, the boyfriend jumped out a window and ran. Deputies arrested the woman’s daughter and took her to the Pierce County Jail in Tacoma.
Around 2:45 p.m., after deputies had left, the boyfriend returned and “assaulted the brother,” Troyer said.
A fight ensued, and the brother shot the boyfriend, who was transported to a hospital and is expected to survive, Troyer said.
“Everybody involved, except for the two suspects, are being cooperative,” Troyer said.
More news from KIRO 7
- Fake cop pulls over real one in Florida
- Earthquake in Southern California raises concerns about ‘The Big One' in Washington
- 15-year-old girl says she was abducted and raped in Tacoma
- Multiple fatalities in overnight trailer fire in Port Angeles
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The News Tribune