PARKLAND, Wash. - Pierce County deputies shot and took a heavily armed man into custody Thursday evening after a hostage situation at a Parkland business, the sheriff's department said.
Deputies say after the man tried to rob the Best Tire Center at about 8 p.m., he came across the street to the Sky Motors used car lot at 13401 Pacific Avenue South and demanded keys and a car.
Deputies said the man entered the business and took one person hostage. The suspect then fired multiple rounds inside the business.
Sky Motors is directly across from the Saars Marketplace grocery store. Employees and customers were in lockdown inside the store until they could safely be escorted out.
Police said the suspect fired shots at deputies and across Pacific Avenue. He had barricaded himself inside the business and had multiple firearms, including long guns.
The suspect, who was wearing body armor, was shot by deputies and then taken into custody. He was evaluated by medics but had no serious injuries, as the gunshot went into his armored vest.
No officers were hurt.
Investigators said the employee who was taken hostage pretended to pass out and was able to escape when the suspect wasn't looking.
More news from KIRO 7
- Department of Fish and Wildlife investigates alleged poaching of adult elk
- Deaths of women in University District apartments was case of murder-suicide
- Man kills dog Washington family got after Vegas shooting
- Donald Trump Jr. replaces Kaepernick with president in Nike 'Just Do It' ad
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.