Washington state owes light-rail attack and murder suspect $27,000, with more added daily

In April, the man charged in the random attack of a woman in a Seattle light rail station and the murder of a Capitol Hill man was awarded $250 a day after the state was unable to provide court-ordered mental health treatment.

Alexander Jay was ordered to receive “competency restoration” services on April 15 after he was found incompetent to stand trial.

According to court documents, Jay was ordered to receive treatment and resources from the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.

Jay was initially considered for treatment. However, the department determined that his admission to a facility was not appropriate due to the violent nature of the case. As a result, the defense argued to dismiss the case, saying Jay’s due process rights were being violated because of the state’s delay to in providing him with mental health resources. King County argued that dismissal was not appropriate for this case.

According to court documents, the court found that Jay’s due process rights were violated, but his motion to dismiss the case was denied.

The State of Department of Social and Health Services was then ordered to pay Jay $250 a day until he is admitted for restoration treatment, with the sanctions beginning on May 9.

In June, the department referred Jay to Western State Hospital in Lakewood, initially setting an estimated admission date between Aug. 15-19, 2022. That admission did not occur and, as of Aug. 25, Jay is still in custody in King County jail, bringing the total payments from Washington state to $27,000.

According to Tyler Hemstreet at the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, it’s now estimated that Jay will be admitted to Western State “on or before” Oct. 2. By that date, Jay will be owed $36,500.

Jay, 40, was charged with second-degree assault in the unprovoked and random attack of a woman at a Seattle rail station.

According to court documents, on March 2, a woman got off the light rail at the Chinatown-International District station in Seattle and walked up the stairs to exit the light rail tunnel.

At the top of the concrete stairs, Jay allegedly grabbed the woman and threw her down.

As she fell, she was followed down the stairs, where he was said to have grabbed her again and threw her further down the stairs.

The woman grabbed onto the stair railing to prevent being thrown further down the stairs again.

As Jay walked back up the stairs and left the station, a security guard came to the woman’s aid.

The attack was captured on the station’s security cameras.

The woman suffered three broken ribs and a broken clavicle in the attack.

Jay was also charged in the March 3 fatal attack of a man in the 1800 block of East Olive Way.

According to charging documents, Jay attacked the man from behind by bludgeoning him to death with a heavy piece of rebar.