Snohomish County Public Works announced Friday that solid waste facilities in the county will be open during regular business hours this weekend, eliminating a previously scheduled closure of the facilities for Sunday, Sept. 25.
County staff have made significant efforts to clear excess garbage piles at transfer stations and drop boxes. The garbage piles had built up earlier in the month due to a lack of shipping containers to haul them away on railways, as well as a shortage of railcars and crews to ship trash out.
Transfer stations and drop boxes in the county were closed last Sunday, Sept. 18. On Sunday and throughout the week, crews worked to clear trash out.
“Our Solid Waste staff works tremendously hard, and most people do notice because everything runs so smoothly,” Snohomish County Public Works director Kelly Snyder said. “But this is just an example of how efficient they are and how much pride we have in the work they do. We expected this to take two consecutive Sundays and they cut that time in half.”
Public Works said the county has temporarily stopped accepting yard debris at all facilities since green waste and wood debris are being contaminated at the facilities. It also contributes to the backlog of waste as it takes up space in shipping containers.
Public Works said green waste and wood debris are being accepted at the following locations:
- Bailey Compost, Snohomish (360-568-8826)
- Yard waste only. No sod, dirt, or rocks.
- Cedar Grove Composting, Everett, Woodinville, Kenmore (877-764-5748)
- No wood or limbs greater than 4 inches in diameter; no noxious weeds
- Lenz Enterprises, Stanwood (360-629-2933)
- No mixed loads, treated lumber, dirt, or rocks
- Pacific Topsoils, Woodinville, Everett, Kenmore (425-337-2700)
- No mixed loads, plywood, or treated lumber
- Reece Aggregates and Recycling, Arlington (360-403-7520)
- No treated lumber or garbage
- Riverside Topsoils, Snohomish (425-379-9933)
- No treated wood or pallets
The weekend hours for Snohomish County solid waste facilities are as follows:
- Saturday and Sunday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Airport Road Recycling & Transfer Station — 10700 Minuteman Drive, Everett, WA 98204
- North County Recycling & Transfer Station — 19600 63rd Avenue Northeast, Arlington, WA 98223
- Southwest Recycling & Transfer Station — 21311 61st Place West, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
- Dubuque Road Drop Box — 19619 Dubuque Road, Snohomish, WA 98290
- Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Sultan Drop Box — 33014 Cascade View Drive, Sultan, WA 98294
- Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Station — 3434 McDougall Avenue, Everett, WA 98201
- Sunday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Granite Falls Drop Box — 7526 Menzel Lake Road, Granite Falls, WA 98252
©2022 Cox Media Group