SOPRON, Hungary - Seattle Storm star Breanna Stewart suffered a torn Achilles tendon while playing for Dynamo Kursk, a Russian professional team.
Stewart tore her Achilles tendon Sunday when she landed on the foot of Brittney Griner in a EuroLeague title game against UMMC Ekaterinburg.
breanna stewart landed on brittney griners foot during the euroleague title game and looked in serious pain— dynamo kursk fan account (@WEREONLIVE) April 14, 2019
not clear if it was ankle or knee but she was helped off the floor and put no weight on it pic.twitter.com/AO8ecTLtgJ
WNBA players often sign contracts with teams overseas to earn extra money in the offseason.
Brian Stewart, Breanna Stewart's father, told Syracuse.com on Monday that she is expected to undergo surgery this week in Los Angeles.
“I don’t think it’s a career-ending type of injury,” Brian Stewart said. “But it’s certainly going to put her in the barn for a while.”
Breanna Stewart was drafted by the Storm first overall in the 2016 WNBA Draft after leading the University of Connecticut to four straight NCAA Championships.
The 6-foot, 4-inch forward is a two-time All-Star, was named the WNBA’s MVP in 2018 and the 2018 WNBA Finals MVP after the Storm defeated the Washington Mystics in a three-game sweep.
Training camp for the Storm begins May 5.
More news from KIRO 7
- ’Conservative’ student said she became hate crime victim due to her political views
- Low numbers lead to fishing restrictions on chinook salmon
- Seahawks, QB Russell Wilson agree on contract extension
- Officers kill suspect in Cowlitz County deputy’s fatal shooting
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.