SEATTLE - The Seattle Space Needle's renovation project is nearing completion, officials said Thursday.
The temporary wrap surrounding the tower's 500-foot level will be removed Thursday night around 9 p.m. Officials said the wrap will be fully removed within 24 to 48 hours, but the suspended work platform will take around three to four weeks to remove.
A re-imagined Space Needle is taking shape with the "spacelift." The project will update the Seattle icon with floor-to-ceiling glass.
Once it is completed, visitors will get an uninterrupted 360-degree view of Puget Sound.
The new design will give diners at the restaurant level the experience of a rotating glass floor and a downward view of the structure.
More news from KIRO 7
- Pack of vicious dogs running wild attacks, kills woman
- Police: Woman raped by homeless man in Ballard car dealership bathroom
- Shots fired into Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
- Man critically injured in Seattle hatchet attack
- Flight attendant sues Alaska Airlines; says she was fired after reporting rape
© 2019 Cox Media Group.