SDOT is hosting its second Seattle's Safest Driver contest, an app-based competition aimed at improving driver habits -- with a cash prize of up to $5,000. The contest runs from May 13 to July 7 and is hosted in a partnership with PEMCO Insurance.
The eight-week competition tracks five measures: speeding, phone distraction, harsh acceleration or braking and turning. The app tracks your different trips and you get scored for trips when you're behind the wheel. The safer a driver you are, the higher the score.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- 4 dead, 10 injured after mid-air collision between float planes in Alaska
- Edmonds school board to vote on plan to lay off dozens of teachers
- Critical medical research inside UW facility at risk of being lost
- 2 injured in Federal Way shooting
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
In the 2017-2018 competition, across the top 50 percent of users SDOT saw distraction drop 20 percent and speeding drop 16 percent.
The competition is open to residents of King, Pierce, Snohomish or Kitsap counties who are at least 17-years-old. To be eligible for prizes, a portion of your trips must include Seattle. To be eligible for the grand prize, you must download the app by June 9.
First place wins $5,000, second prize wins $2,500 and third place wins $1,000.
Drivers can also win biweekly prizes in different categories.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.