KITSAP COUNTY, Wash. - A 12-year-old boy who was airlifted from Kitsap County to Harborview Medical Center Thursday night with a possible gunshot wound to the head has died, the Kitsap County Sheriff's Office confirmed Friday morning.
Deputies said the incident happened at a home in the 9300 block of Northwest Dishman Road in a rural neighborhood just west of Silverdale.
Deputies were called to the scene about 8:30 p.m. and arrived to find a badly injured boy.
Witnesses said the child was shot, but detectives aren't sure if that's the case -- only that the boy had a serious injury to the back of his head.
KIRO 7 asked if there were other people in the home at the time the child was hurt, but didn't get an answer.
"We don't know how this injury occurred. That will be up to detectives to determine and who is responsible, if anybody," Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson said Thursday night.
Because the boy died in Seattle, the manner and cause of the boy's death will be determined by the King County Sheriff's Office.
More news from KIRO 7
- 1 dead, 7 injured after bus accident in SeaTac
- Suspected car prowler shot by Covington homeowner
- King County tricked into paying scammers more than $220,000
- PHOTOS: SeaTac bus crash: Multiple people hurt, 1 killed near Sea-Tac International Airport
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.