Mount Rainier's 29 glaciers are melting and as a result rockfall avalanches have injured climbers and forced expeditions to turn around.
Mount Rainier is the highest mountain in the state of Washignton at 14,111' feet above sea level.
Dating back to 1897, 425 people have died on Mount Rainier with the most recent fatality coming on July 30, 2017. Click here for more information.
More news from KIRO 7
- Lawn company allegedly vandalizes 87-year-old grandmother's yard over $35 dispute
- Service to honor fallen Kent police officer Diego Moreno
- Death by dry ice: Coolers stored in car lead to ‘horrific accident'
- Seattle approves new bike share rules without helmet requirements
- Teen dies after divers pull him out of Spanaway Lake
© 2019 Cox Media Group.