SEATTLE - Swedish Hospital has hired its first canine employee.
Hospital officials said the dog, Jared, will work in the Spiritual Care department alongside two of the hospital’s chaplains, Gretchen Covey and Deborah Thompson.
Jared is a facility dog, trained to partner with facilitators working in a health care environment, and knows more than 40 commands to help motivate and inspire, according to the hospital.
“This new canine employee has already had a big impact on our Swedish community,” a spokesperson for the hospital wrote in a news release.
Hospital officials said Jared’s presence reduces anxiety and stress and lifts people’s spirits at the hospital.
More news from KIRO 7
- VIDEO: Goats roaming the streets of Issaquah
- ’They must change’: Seattle woman, brother speak after hidden camera nursing home rape arrest
- Vigil held for teen after tragic crash into tree
- Blue Angels practice Thursday; I-90 to stay open during air shows
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.