TACOMA, Wash. — Firefighters spent Thursday night working to control a fire at a metal recycling center in Tacoma.
Crews were called to the 1900 block of Marine View Drive, where plumes of smoke were seen shooting from a debris pile at the center.
Officials said firefighters set up “master streams to douse the blaze.”
Just before 8:10 p.m., firefighters tweeted that the smoke plume was traveling east toward the Fife Heights area and that if the smoke was causing any problems, residents should shut their doors and windows and shelter in place until conditions improve.
Firefighters said the fire started on the outside of a debris pile.
According to officials, the likely cause of this fire was arcing from a car battery that ignited common combustibles in the scrap metal pile.
While the firefighting continued, employees with the facility used heavy equipment to pull apart the pile to help extinguish the flames.
In an update at about 10:12 p.m., officials said crews would be at the scene for several more hours until the fire was fully out.
No injuries were reported.
©2021 Cox Media Group