Couple reunited after both survived COVID-19

Couple reunited after both survived COVID-19

PUYALLUP, Wash. — Tammy and Brian Edwards shared a kiss through their protective face masks after 26 days apart, as friends cheered.

The couple was reunited outside Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup, where Brian was recovering from COVID-19.

“I love it. This is great,” said Brian Edwards. “Didn’t expect it, but this is great.”

Content Continues Below

Brian was back on his feet after spending weeks hospitalized and near death because of the coronavirus.

“It’s one of scariest things that’s ever happened to either one of us in our lives,” said Tammy Edwards.

Tammy, who is a nurse, says she contracted the coronavirus on the job. She unknowingly infected her husband as well.

“I tested positive on the 8th of April and then on the 10th, my positive results came back. On the 9th he started getting sick,” said Edwards. Tammy’s symptoms were bad, but not life-threatening. Brian’s were much worse.

“He was on a ventilator for 11 days,” said Tammy Edwards. “It was awful. I don’t want anybody else to have to go through what we went through. It’s been emotional, it’s been terrifying.”

Friends of the couple joined them outside Good Samaritan, where Brian was transferred from Tacoma General as he slowly recovered. One of those friends, retired NFL player and former Seahawk Hillary Butler, says seeing someone you know fight the coronavirus makes the pandemic very real.

“You just can’t take things for granted and when you’ve got someone like this that’s really strong and shows that this thing is beatable, you just got to show some support and show your love for him,” said Butler.

It took just minutes before Brian was weary and ready for the ride home. He faces weeks of more recovery and rehabilitation and had some advice for Americans facing shutdowns and restrictions because of the coronavirus.

“Just wear your masks and stay safe. Practice safe distancing,” said Edwards. “This is real. And people still don’t believe it is.”