KITSAP COUNTY, Wash. - The Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office said a Kitsap Transit bus driver was cited after nearly hitting two 12-year-old boys who leaped off their bikes to avoid being hit at the intersection of Aegean Boulevard and Sunset Avenue.
Deputies said the bus driver, on Route 223, hit the boys' electric bikes and one boy suffered scrapes after jumping out of the way. No one was seriously hurt, including the passenger on the bus at the time.
The 64-year-old bus driver claimed she did not see the boys, according to deputies, who said she made a left turn too sharply and cut into the lane of Aegean Boulevard where the boys were stopped around 9 a.m. on Aug. 16.
Deputies said she was cited for failure to drive on the right side of the road and did not show any signs of being impaired.
Kitsap Transit released this statement following the incident:
We’re sorry that this incident happened and are grateful no one was seriously injured.
The safety of our passengers and the public are of paramount importance to Kitsap Transit. We will take appropriate action based on what we learn from the accident investigation.
Kitsap Transit has notified its insurer, Washington State Transit Insurance Pool, which will investigate and handle any claims arising from the incident.
More news from KIRO 7
- Coast Guard suspends search for two missing from boat near Mercer Island
- Brock Turner victim Chanel Miller comes forward in new book, reveals name and face
- King County, Seattle leaders propose regional authority to fight homelessness
- Police: Armed pastor took down shooter at Washington state Walmart
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.