Bomb squad detonates explosive material found inside Arlington man’s home

SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash. — Snohomish County deputies and state troopers detonated explosive material on Friday, which was left inside of an Arlington home.

On Saturday, law enforcement continued the work through the day and just before 8 p.m., the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office tweeted that controlled explosions had been completed and no additional detonations were expected for Sunday.

On Friday, people living off Burn Road were warned they could expect to hear the blasts but authorities said there was no danger to the public.

A KIRO 7 crew at the scene Friday night watched as local investigators and those from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Washington State Patrol bomb squad wrapped up their work at a house in the 193 block of Burn Road.

There were concerns from neighbors as the neighborhood is usually quiet.

“I was told by one of our neighbors that the neighbor that lives next door to us used to work with the guy,” said Georgiana Morgan, who lies on Burn Road.

The guy she was speaking about was the homeowner where the explosives were found. He was taken into custody but authorities did not provide any other details.

According to the sheriff’s office, everything began at about 4:30 a.m. Thursday.

A man showed up at a local hospital with a minor gunshot wound.

Whatever he told them, led to the Region 1 SWAT team showing up where he lived.

The team negotiated with the homeowner and got him to surrender.

Then investigators discovered explosive material inside his home and called the bomb squad to detonate the material.

KIRO 7′s Deborah Horne asked a neighbor, “you heard one?” “I heard bombs in my room,” John Rolland said.

“What did it sound like?” said Horne. “Ah, boom! Like a big, huge loud boom,” he said.

“Was it like firecrackers?” Horne clarified. “No, way louder,” said Rolland.

Rolland told Horne it wasn’t the first time he and others have heard booms around the area.

“A couple of times a year we hear a bomb going off,” said Rolland. “A couple times a year?” Horne asked. “Yeah. Never knew where they were coming from,” said Rolland. “So, I guess this is where they’ve been coming from.”

It is not known if the explosive sounds Rolland had heard came from the man’s home.

Investigators would not say who was taken into custody. But after checking the Snohomish County Jail roster, KIRO 7 was able to find the name of a man who lives in the house where the explosive material was found.

He is being held for investigation into first-degree assault and unlawful possession of a firearm.

His bail is set at $1 million.