CARNATION, Wash. - Local firefighters rescued a cat, revived it and then offered him a foster home after a fire near Carnation.
On March 21, crews from Eastside Fire & Rescue were called to a house fire just outside the Carnation area.
Crews quickly put out the fire and the owner told them his cat, Duke, was still inside. Firefighters immediately went back inside, found Duke after a quick search and brought him outside.
Battalion Chief Dave McDaniel said at first, Duke was unresponsive but firefighters administered oxygen to him using a pet-sized mask and he woke up.
Eastside Fire & Rescue crews took the cat to Alpine Animal Hospital in Issaquah, where Duke was treated and released several days later.
Though Duke was OK, there was another problem. The house was uninhabitable after the fire, so the owner was staying in an Issaquah hotel that allowed dogs but not Duke.
With no place for Duke, an Eastside firefighter offered to foster the cat until the owner can find a place where he can live with his pet.
But firefighters went even further. The Eastside Firefighters Benevolent Fund split the vet bill with Alpine Animal Hospital.
More news from KIRO 7
- ’Went to the bone’: Man stabbed by suspect who was killed by police says officer saved his life
- Cyclist scared by fight on popular Seattle trail
- At Paris Air Show, Boeing vice president apologizes to families of crash victims
- Rechargeable battery cause of fire at Ballard home, fire officials say
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.