TACOMA, Wash. — On what was supposed to be the first day of school for students in the Tacoma School District, classes are canceled due to ongoing contract negotiations between teachers and the district.
Teachers will take to the picket lines Thursday instead.
Working parents have some options for childcare and free meals for their children. They can also get daily updates on the status of the strike at this link.
Metro Parks Tacoma is offering four free day camps for kids.
The camps would run on Sept. 6 and 7 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and children ages 5 to 12 are welcome to attend. The program is free but due to limited space, reservations are required each day.
Activities at the camp include group games, arts, reading and swimming. Lunch and a snack will be provided, and kids need to bring a snack and water bottle. The park district is also providing extra lunches to kids under 18 who visit the community centers.
Reservations can be made after 11 a.m. Wednesday by calling or visiting one of the community centers listed below.
3873 S. 66th St.
Tacoma, WA 98409
Center at Norpoint
4818 Nassau Ave N.E.
Tacoma, WA 98422
Portland Avenue Community Center
3513 Portland Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98404
People's Community Center
1602 S. MLK Jr. Way
Tacoma, WA 98405
In addition, Tacoma Public Schools says it’s working with community partners to establish care options for students, but it’s up to organizations to decide whether they provide full-day care.
Parents will need to call to find out what care options, if any are available.
- Child Care Aware of Washington Family Center / Phone 1-800-446-1114, website
- YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties / 253-534-7840 / firstname.lastname@example.org / website
- Boys & Girls Club / 253-502-4650 / email@example.com / website
- Rollin253 / 253-292-1498 / firstname.lastname@example.org / website
Beginning Thursday, during strike days 12 schools from across the district will be serving breakfast and lunch to students. Free meals will be available to all Tacoma students. Breakfast will be served from 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and lunch will be served 11:30 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday.
- Truman Middle School
- The old Hunt Middle School site (temporary Grant site)
- Jason Lee Middle School
- Gray Middle School
- Giaudrone Middle School
- Baker Middle School
- Stewart Middle School
- First Creek Middle School
- McCarver Elementary School
- Franklin Elementary School
- Roosevelt Elementary School
- Northeast Tacoma Elementary School
Cox Media Group