Teen arrested in Seattle police chase also accused of armed robberies

This browser does not support the video element.

SEATTLE — A teenager will remain in juvenile lockup for his alleged role in a shooting and police chase in Rainier Beach. A judge ruled the case against him will move forward during his first court appearance Tuesday.

Prosecutors also outlined his lengthy criminal history.

The suspect, who KIRO 7 is not identifying because he is under 18, faces four charges: rendering criminal assistance, unlawful possession of a firearm, hit-and-run, and attempting to elude a police vehicle. A juvenile court judge found probable cause in each count, though he has not yet been formally charged.

“The court has signed all orders,” Judge Veronica Galvan said. “That concludes this matter. Thank you, everyone.”

According to Seattle police, the teen was driving a stolen car last week when an undercover officer began following the car. Two other suspects reportedly jumped out of the car and started firing at the officer before the teen led police on a chase.

Investigators said the teen crashed into a car in Rainier Beach. Another suspect is in jail. The third is in the hospital.

“His conduct was extremely dangerous to public safety,” a King County prosecutor said of the teen Tuesday.

The teen’s defense attorney requested he be released on electronic monitoring to his mother’s home, but prosecutors argued he should remain in jail due to his extensive criminal history.

“Taking a motor vehicle without permission in the second degree, two convictions of robbery in the second degree for which he served time at JRA, and convictions of vehicle prowling in the second degree,” the prosecutor said. “And obstructing a law enforcement officer.”

The day before the teen was taken into custody, Seattle police said they sent out a bulletin to arrest him in connection with a separate case.

He is accused of three armed robberies in early June; one of a man who was sitting in a car at Kerry Park and two at convenience stores.

“The court finds the respondent is a threat to the safety of the community and does not have any alternative to secure detention that would assuage any of those concerns,” Galvan said.

The teen is due back in court Friday.