Prosecutors: Teen accused of firing on undercover SPD cops can’t be charged as an adult under WA law

This browser does not support the video element.

SEATTLE — A 17-year-old boy whom King County prosecutors said was part of a trio that opened fire on undercover officers in South Seattle is now facing a series of serious felony charges in juvenile court as investigators continue to sort out each suspect’s role in a complex, multi-location case.

Prosecutors said three people, two adults and the juvenile, were arrested Aug. 12, in connection with a South Seattle investigation. On Wednesday, the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office filed five felony counts against the 17-year-old.

The teen is charged with two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm in the first degree — one for a Beretta pistol and another for an AR-15-style firearm — as well as felony hit-and-run, attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, and felony rendering criminal assistance in the first degree. Authorities said the juvenile is accused of firing on undercover officers as part of that South Seattle incident.

Because of Washington state law, prosecutors said they cannot ask a judge to move this case into adult court. All of the charges against the 17-year-old are filed in juvenile court.

The teen’s next court date is his arraignment, where an initial plea will be entered. That hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 21 at the Clark Children and Family Justice Center in Seattle.

Separate robbery investigation

The 17-year-old is also the focus of a separate, ongoing investigation that spans several well-known Seattle locations. That case involves:

  • An attempted robbery investigation at Kerry Park in Seattle.
  • A robbery investigation at a 7-Eleven atop Queen Anne Hill.
  • A robbery investigation at MC Foods on Beacon Hill.

The teen was initially booked last week in connection with that robbery-focused investigation, then re-booked Monday in the South Seattle case. Prosecutors said they are awaiting forensic testing tied to those incidents, and anticipate additional charging decisions once that work is completed.

The 20-year-old suspect

Also charged in connection with the South Seattle investigation is 20-year-old Jose Cortez-Aguayo. The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office has charged him with attempted robbery in the second degree for his alleged role in the same South Seattle incident.

Cortez-Aguayo remains at Harborview Medical Center. Prosecutors asked that his bail be set at $500,000, a request a judge approved.

The 26-year-old suspect

The third person arrested in the South Seattle investigation, 26-year-old Jacobe Barbour, was charged earlier in the week. On Monday, prosecutors filed one count of identity theft in the second degree, based on documents investigators said were found at the South Seattle scene.

Prosecutors asked the court to maintain Barbour’s $1 million bail. The judge did not grant that request and instead set bail at $150,000. Barbour pleaded not guilty at his arraignment this morning and remains in the King County Jail on $150,000 bail.

Ongoing forensic work and future charges

Both police and prosecutors emphasize that this is an active investigation. They are awaiting forensic test results to help determine which specific participants are alleged to have committed each of the crimes under review.

Officials said it is important to examine all available evidence before filing additional counts, both to ensure the most accurate picture of what happened and to help the charges “hold up in court.” Prosecutors anticipate more charging decisions once forensic testing is complete.

Follow James Lynch on X. Read more of his stories here. Submit news tips here.

This story was originally posted on MyNorthwest.com