Police search for suspects after Pioneer Square bar shootout

This browser does not support the video element.

A shootout outside a popular Pioneer Square bar left one person injured over the weekend following an altercation that began inside.

It happened outside of Cowgirls Inc, near the intersection of 1st Ave S and S King St. No arrests had been made as of Monday afternoon.

Police say the person who got hurt took themselves to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. It’s not clear if they were a bystander or were involved.

Bullets struck multiple parked vehicles and appeared to puncture a window at a nearby office.

Police officers recovered shell casings and one firearm from the scene.

Management at Cowgirls stated that the establishment’s security personnel initially responded to the dispute inside the venue before the confrontation moved outdoors.

The bar is reviewing its internal security protocols and providing surveillance footage to the Seattle Police Department to help keep patrons and the surrounding neighborhood safe.

“Cowgirls Inc. is deeply disturbed by the gun violence that occurred outside our establishment early Sunday morning,” a representative from the bar wrote. “Our thoughts are with the individual who was injured, and we are extremely grateful that our guests and employees remained safe.”

“The safety of our guests, employees and community is our highest priority,” the representative continued. “Our security team responded to the situation inside the establishment, and we are cooperating fully with the Seattle Police Department and providing surveillance footage and any other information that may assist with its investigation.”

The shooting has renewed safety concerns among people who frequent local nightlife spots.

Raven Garcia, a resident of the nearby Chinatown International Districtt who regularly visits Pioneer Square, told KIRO 7 that violence near area venues affects her social decisions.

“It kind of deters me from going out around here at night, especially like bars, clubs, stuff like that,” Garcia said.

Addressing potential solutions, Garcia suggested increasing safety measures outdoors while acknowledging the limits of oversight.

“Maybe just more like a [police] presence directly outside, but even then you can’t 100% control people,” she said.

Nearby business owners also expressed concern about the public perception of the neighborhood following the incident.

Gary Szeredy, owner of The Hall on Occidental located a few blocks away, emphasized that business owners have worked hard to revitalize the district.

“It’s just disappointing when you see things like that because it makes people think it’s not a safe area and it is,” Szeredy said.

He pointed to recent successful community events as evidence of the area’s progress.

“Over the last year, so many small businesses have worked so hard to really elevate Pioneer Square, and it’s been incredible,” he said. “We’ve done an amazing job, just through the World Cup, how incredible that was. All the unity and fun that everyone had with really no issues.”

He called on city officials to take active measures to prevent future incidents.

“I want the city to take it seriously and to come up with solutions,” he said. “I wish I had the solution. I don’t, but the city needs to be able to step up and take control of that.”