Seattle considering possible tear down of KeyArena

Updated:

The city of Seattle says it will consider a possible complete tear down and rebuild of KeyArena as part of a request for proposals on possible redevelopment to the aging facility.

The request for proposals was released by the city Wednesday and will consider redevelopment options that extend beyond the current footprint of the facility. The city says the priority is to create a premier venue with the capability of potentially hosting NBA and NHL events.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray announced last year that the city would issue a request for proposals in 2017. 

>> Related: See the Seattle Center Landmarks Study

Two development companies have expressed interest in redevelopment of the former home of the Seattle SuperSonics and current facility for the WNBA's Seattle Storm.

The KeyArena project is also competing with investor Chris Hansen and his hopes of building an arena in Seattle's stadium district near CenturyLink and Safeco Field. A new proposal in October indicated that principal investor Hansen and his partners are open to forgoing $200 million in public money to build in the SODO neighborhood.

>> Related: Seattle group offers private financing for SODO arena

A potential roadblock to the project is whether the roof of the 56-year-old facility gains historic status, which would limit redevelopment options outside the current footprint.

An agreement regarding KeyArena needs City Council approval and include an extensive review process.

Related >> See photos of The Beatles performance at what's now KeyArena -- the first major concert in the building, August 21, 1964.

Related

Trending on kiro7.com: