SEATTLE — A major intersection in Ballard was shut down for hours after a fatal collision involving multiple vehicles.
Several other people were hurt, Seattle police said.
The crash happened at 12:30 a.m. Friday between the Safeway and the Walgreens on 15th and Market. At least four vehicles were involved.
Investigators said it appears that a Mazda pickup ran a red light heading eastbound on Northwest Market Street and collided with a Toyota and a Volvo.
The impact forced one of those vehicles into a Toyota SUV. The pickup hit a traffic control box on the corner of the intersection that knocked out power to the traffic lights in the intersection.
The driver of the pickup was pronounced dead at the scene.
Firefighters had to cut the top off of a vehicle to rescue two people who were trapped inside.
A passenger from the pickup was taken to Harborview. Two other drivers were taken to local hospitals with minor injuries.
The intersection at the crash scene was closed until 6:30 a.m. because crews had to fix the traffic lights that were knocked out in the crash.
More news from KIRO 7
- Snohomish County realtor attacked at open house
- Police: 5-month-old child found alone in unsanctioned Seattle homeless camp
- Statewide emphasis patrol this weekend for 'Move Over Law'
- Officer-involved shooting in Normandy Park
- Fatal crash closes major intersection in Ballard for hours
Cox Media Group