Texas police arrest man in connection with murder of Fort Hood private

Texas police arrest man in connection with murder of Fort Hood private
Brandon Michael Olivares was served with a murder warrant Wednesday in the shooting death of Brandon Scott Rosecrans in May. (Bell County Jail)

A Texas man is accused of fatally shooting a Fort Hood private in May, authorities said.

Brandon Michael Olivares, 28, was served with a murder warrant at the Bell County Jail, according to arrest records. Olivares is being held on an unrelated weapons charge from mid-June, KWTX reported. Bail was set at $1.1 million, the television station reported.

Pfc. Brandon Scott Rosecrans, 27, was fatally shot May 18 in Harker Heights, KXXV reported. The soldier was found next to his burning 2016 Jeep Renegade.

Content Continues Below

Rosecrans was killed just days before his 28th birthday, the television station reported.

Since November 2018, Rosecrans was at Fort Hood, assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division’s 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team as a quartermaster and chemical equipment repairman, KWTX reported.

According to police, Rosecrans and Olivares were traveling together in the victim’s car.

“The investigation of this murder revealed that the victim and suspect were traveling together in the victim’s vehicle before the suspect discharged a firearm at the victim,” Harker Heights police Chief Phillip Gadd said in a news release Thursday.

There have been four other confirmed soldier deaths tied to Fort Hood since Olivares’ murder.

Less than a month ago, U.S. Army officials found the body of Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 26, near Stillhouse Hollow Lake. Officials also discovered skeletal remains June 21 in a Killeen field about 10 miles from the same lake, identified as Fort Hood soldier Gregory Morales, 24.

U.S. Army officials found more human remains July 1, later identified as missing Fort Hood soldier Pfc. Vanessa Guillen about 20 miles east of the post.

On Saturday, Spc. Francisco Gilberto Hernandez-Vargas, 24, was reportedly riding an inner tube behind a boat in the area of Dana Peak Park when he went under the water and did not resurface. His body was recovered Sunday, KXXV reported.