ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A spa in Albuquerque, New Mexico, has been shut down as state officials urge customers to get tested for a number of bloodborne illnesses related to the spa’s “vampire facials,” including HIV, and hepatitis B and C, according to news reports.
State inspectors began an investigation after a client at the VIP Spa developed an infection, The Sacramento Bee reported. Inspectors found problems with the storage, handling and disposal of needles at the salon.
A vampire facial, made popular by reality TV star Kim Kardashian, is a nonsurgical skin care treatment involving the withdrawal of blood from a patient then the reapplication of the treated blood to the face, KABC-TV reported.
Kardashian shared a picture of herself getting the procedure done in 2013, but has since said she regretted doing it, according to Refinery29.
New Mexico investigators are urging anyone who got a “vampire facial” at VIP Spa to get a blood test.
More news from KIRO 7
- Hurricane Florence live updates: Category 2 storm barrels toward Carolina coast
- Teen girl stabbed, killed by high school classmate in fight over boy, police say
- Man found dead in car after garage fire near Everett
- Fire burns townhomes under construction in Wallingford
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2018 Cox Media Group.