Satz said he filed a "notice of intent to seek death" in the 17 first-degree murder counts stemming from the Feb. 14 rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 14 students and three adults dead.
Cruz also is charged with attempted murder in the shootings of 17 others who survived.
Last week, a grand jury in Broward County formally indicted Cruz in the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High.
The family that took Cruz after his adoptive mother died suddenly last year said that, although the 19-year-old was troubled, it was unaware of any red flags to hint beforehand that he planned to carry out last week’s deadly attack.
“We knew he had troubles and a couple of issues, but I’ve raised three boys, and I thought we could help,” James Snead told The New York Times on Sunday. “It’s a very selfish thing he did -- aside from the families he hurt, he hurt the family that tried to help him and give him a chance.”
James Snead and his wife, Kimberly Snead, told the Times that they took in Cruz after their son, who knew Cruz from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, asked if he could move in with them. Cruz had been staying with a friend of his mother’s after she died Nov. 1 of pneumonia, according to the Times.
“We didn’t know he had such an evil past,” James Snead told the Times. “We just didn’t know.”
More news from KIRO 7
- Two young children, parents dead in Pierce County murder-suicide
- Burst swimming pool tsunami washes woman 30 feet down ravine in east Tacoma
- Police investigating Wallingford death as homicide
- Conway accused of Hatch Act violation; what is the Hatch Act?
- HIV case in King County resistant to preventative medicine
© 2018 Cox Media Group.