McDonald's announced that it is scrapping plastic straws for paper ones in its restaurants in the United Kingdom and Ireland beginning in September, the BBC reported Friday.
The fast-food giant uses 1.8 million straws a day in the United Kingdom, the BBC reported.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Letter to Seattle convention leaders: Your problem is out of control
- Downtown Seattle tourist says he was attacked by homeless man
- Father says man grabbed his daughter, pulled her pants down at Walmart
- 1 killed in police-involved shooting at Kirkland Safeway
- World's largest Christmas light maze coming to Seattle
"Reflecting the broader public debate, our customers told us they wanted to see a move on straws," McDonald’s said in a statement.
McDonald’s is also seeking an alternative to plastic straws in the United States, The Associated Press reported.
© 2020 Cox Media Group