• Man dies 8 years after swallowing snail on dare that left him paralyzed

    By: Shelby Lin Erdman, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:

    SYDNEY, Australia - An Australian man died Friday surrounded by family and friends eight years after swallowing a garden snail on a dare from his friends at a backyard party.

    >> Read more trending news 

    Student athlete and rugby player Sam Ballard, 28, who was 19 when he ate the snail in 2010, was paralyzed after he was infected with rat lungworm, a rare parasitic infection linked to the snail, according to the Independent.

    Scroll down to continue reading


    More news from KIRO 7


    DOWNLOAD OUR FREE NEWS APP

    Ballard fell into a coma for 420 days after developing a type of meningitis, which most people recover from, but he didn’t, suffering a severe brain infection instead, Sky News reported.

    He was left paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair.

    He died after years of medical complications.

    Next Up: