LEE COUNTY, Va. — A Virginia family's pet wolf-dog hybrid attacked and killed their newborn baby, authorities say.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- PHOTOS: Tacoma's '10 Things I Hate About You' house up for sale
- Marysville mom will be deported, separated from three daughters
- Manager fired, woman charged after movie theater altercation goes viral
- Father speaks of 'unimaginable pain' after daughter, 2, killed by falling mirror at Payless store
- Mother angry after surveillance video shows school security guard slamming her son to the ground
According to WJHL, the 8-day-old baby girl was lying in her bassinet at the family's Lee County home Wednesday morning when the dog attacked her. The parents heard the girl crying, entered the room and saw the dog by the bassinet, deputies said.
The baby had "very serious injuries to the upper body," said Lee County Sheriff Gary Parsons. She was treated at multiple hospitals before she died about 4 p.m. Wednesday at the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville, Tennessee.
The dog was euthanized, Parsons said.
The incident is still under investigation.
Cox Media Group