CITRUS HEIGHTS, Calif. — A California family is mourning the loss of their 9-year-old daughter and warning others about the dangers of underwater pool lights.
The child was killed after touching an underwater light fixture that was not sealed and was under repair, KOVR-TV reported.
"As much as we know, she grabbed the pool light, and it electrocuted her," the girl's father, Cliff Kinley, told the news station.
Sacramento County rescue crews rushed to the scene, but were not able to save the child.
“Thank goodness it didn’t get anyone else, because there were four other children in that pool,” Kinley said.
Kinley said the family is talking about the tragedy to warn other people about the potential dangers in backyard pools.
"If nothing comes from losing my daughter, at least this could save others," the child's mother, Lisa Moore, told KOVR.
The family started a GoFundMe page to help cover funeral expenses.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
© 2019 Cox Media Group