South Sound News

Suspected gunman arrested after shooting outside Graham school

GRAHAM, Wash. — Two 16-year-old boys were injured in a drive-by shooting behind Graham-Kapowsin High School last week.

According to Pierce County Sheriff's Department, a suspected gunman was arrested late Monday.

Key Developments
  • Two students injured in shooting outside Graham-Kapowsin High School in Graham.
  • Shooting happened off campus
  • The victims are students at the high school; they were taken to area hospitals.
  • The victims were in critical condition and are expected to survive.
  • 3 people have been arrested in the shooting so far
  • Two people are expected to be released without being charged
  • A fourth suspect is still at large
  • Deputies say the shooting may be gang-related.

Three arrested so far in shooting

A 16-year-old suspected of shooting the gun was arrested on Monday after turning himself into authorities in Tacoma. He was at large for nearly a week after the shooting.

Last week, detectives arrested two 17-year-old boys suspected of being involved in the shooting. As of Monday, they were expected to be released without any charges.

“The investigation is still ongoing with a number of detectives still working to get more information,” Lynch said. “In the meantime, the two teens will be released at some point today, NCF, which means no charges filed pending further investigation.”

The green Chevrolet Impala that officers said the shooters had been in was impounded after it was spotted by Tacoma officers Wednesday.

Police say the shooting may have been gang-related. The parents of the victims said their sons have no gang ties and were merely bystanders.

What led up to the shooting

According to Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer, some teens planned to meet in a wooded area about 20 yards behind the high school to fight.

By 2:30 p.m., a crowd had formed, but the fight never started. The reason why is not known.

Instead, at least three teens got into a green Chevrolet Impala and as they drove away, fired shots into the crowd. Two 16-year-old boys were shot.

One victim was found in a school locker room, and another was found in a parking lot by the football field. The students were taken to Tacoma General Hospital in critical condition. They are expected to survive.

In a Facebook post, a parent of one victim said their son was shot four times and is still dealing with surgeries.

The other boy was shot in the leg.

Chaos erupts after shooting

Students said that when the shots were fired, they tried to run inside the school to avoid more gunfire, prompting a lockdown of four schools affecting 3,000 students.

Some parents waited for hours before they were reunited with their children. Some students were not released to their parents until about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Counselors are on hand at the high school Wednesday and there will be extra security.

Graham-Kapowsin High School is located at 108th Ave E. & Eustis Hunt Rd. E. in Graham. Shots were fired on the Eustis Hunt Rd. side of the campus.

Read below for breaking updates posted during the shooting.

Trending headlines