The suspect accused of shooting and killing five people at the Cascade Mall in Burlington on Friday night is charged with five counts of murder. Arcan Cetin's bail is set at $2 million.
KIRO 7 News will have team coverage from Burlington at 5 p.m. Watch on-air or online here.
What to know:
- 5 people killed in shooting at Cascade Mall
- Shooter identified as Arcan Cetin, 20.
- Four people who died were women
- One man who was critically injured died on Saturday morning
- Read a timeline of events here
Key takeaways from charging documents just in:
- Court documents say the Washington mall shooting suspect confessed to detectives.
- The rifle used in the shooting was a Ruger 10/22 that had a 25-round magazine in the magazine well.
- When police went to Cetin’s father’s residence and Cetin’s father said he was missing his Ruger 10/22 and also was missing .22 ammunition.
- Cetin’s mother identified him from the shooting suspect images, according to court documents. She said she last saw him at his apartment on September 21, two days before the shooting.
Cascade Mall suspect charged with 5 counts murder. Bail set at $2 million. Schedule for court at 11am. pic.twitter.com/LRfWDPXGEZ— Jeff Dubois (@JeffKIRO7) September 26, 2016
Arcan Cetin, 20, walked into a packed Skagit County courtroom on Monday morning in his first court appearance.
He stood with a blank look on his face as the judge read the charges. The only thing Cetin said was "yes," when they judge asked if he understood the charges.
According to the charging documents released on Monday, witnesses observed Cetin on Friday remove a rifle from his trunk of his blue four-door sedan, which was reported as either a Kia or Hyundai, according to court documents. Police later learned from Cetin’s father that he drove a blue Chevrolet Cavalier.
Police say Cetin entered the Macy’s women’s department through the west entrance.
He was inside the mall for approximately one minute during the shooting spree, investigators said.
Cetin shot 16-year-old Sarai Lara first near some clothing racks, then walked toward the cosmetics counter. He encountered victim Chuck Eagan, then shot three other women, police said.
Police said Cetin placed the rifle on top of the cosmetics counter, exited the Macy’s store through the west entrance and got into his vehicle.
According to the charging documents, “Cetin said that it was him in the video and he did bring the rifle into Macy’s and shot all 5 victims."
- Video showed his vehicle traveling northbound on South Burlington Boulevard near Cascade Place. The vehicle was last seen on video near South Burlington Boulevard near West Fairhaven Avenue.
The Hispanic description came from 911 calls who said the shooter was possibly a Hispanic man dressed in grayish clothing who entered the store with a long rifle and fired multiple shots. Cetin said on his Facebook page that he is from Turkey, and authorities later acknowledged the Hispanic description was based on initial information.
Cetin is from Oak Harbor and graduated from Oak Harbor High School in 2015. Acquaintances say Cetin had been working at the commissary at Naval Air Station on Whidbey Island.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.