DARRINGTON, Wash. - A Washington school board member resigned after making a derogatory statement about Native Americans on social media.
The Daily Herald reports Jeff Koble, a former member of the Darrington School Board, wrote: "On the Indian Casino how about calling it Drunk Indians and government handouts casino."
Koble wrote the comment after the Sauk Suiattle Indian Tribe announced plans to open a casino near Darrington later this summer.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Bellevue homeless shelter proposal sparks debate
- Kitsap trooper flew Confederate flag with patrol car in driveway
- JUMP bikeshare in Seattle would be unlike its competition
- Swimmers find rattlesnakes living in pool noodles
- Greenwood house fire thought to be out reignites
A follow-up message reads: "I made a mistake in sending this out."
Koble resigned on June 15.
He could not be reached for additional comment.
Superintendent Buck Marsh said in a statement that the views expressed by Koble do not represent the views of the Darrington School Board or of the Darrington School District.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.