A suspect was arrested Tuesday night in connection with a hatchet attack that left a man injured earlier this month.
On March 2, police responded to a report of an assault with a weapon at Taco Bell at 616 State Avenue before midnight.
Police said a 32-year-old man walked into the parking lot bleeding from his head wounds. He told witnesses that he was struck in the head with an ax at Totem Middle School across the street from Taco Bell.
The victim told police that he met with a woman and man on State Avenue and the three of them walked to the school. While they were on campus, the victim said he reached into his backpack and was struck in the head with a hatchet. He escaped and went to the restaurant to get help.
Detectives were able to confirm the identities of the suspects and located them.
Investigators said the 19-year-old suspect, fought with officers before he was taken into custody. A second hatchet was found stuffed down his pants, police said. The other suspect, a juvenile female,
was found with him but she was later released to her guardian.
“This case was solved due to cooperation on multiple fronts,” said Sgt. Pete Shove.
“Bystanders who rendered immediate first aid and quickly alerted law enforcement on the
night of the incident, a concerned citizen’s tip, and the assistance of our neighboring law
enforcement partners, all of which culminated in the successful apprehension of a dangerous
suspect, now off the streets and behind bars. We thank all involved for their assistance in
bringing this investigation to a swift resolution.”
The victim is now out of the hospital.
The investigation remains ongoing.
More news from KIRO 7
- Family claims Pierce County medical examiner should not have ruled son's death a suicide
- Students loot Art Institute of Seattle classrooms as school suddenly shuts down
- Prime suspect for 1988 murder is academic advisor at Western Washington University, CBS reports
- Unvaccinated kids: Schools in Western Washington most at risk for measles
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.