MUKILTEO, Wash. - Two people and three firefighters were sickened by carbon monoxide at a home in Mukilteo early Wednesday.
Mukilteo Fire Department medics were called to the 11100 block of Chennault Beach Road at 4 a.m. for a medical emergency.
When crews arrived, they found one person who was having trouble breathing. Within 15 minutes, a second medic unit was requested for a second person.
When members of the fire crew began having symptoms, they requested help. Units from Everett and South County fire responded along with Mukilteo police and Puget Sound Energy.
Mukilteo fire said air monitoring equipment was used to quickly identify the cause of the symptoms as carbon monoxide -- a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.
The two citizens were taken to the hospital, and three firefighters were treated and released from an emergency room.
According to Mukilteo fire:
"CO is a product of combustion. Common sources of CO are furnaces, water heaters, generators, grills, and cars. Blocked vents and flues can cause the CO to build up to dangerous levels. Signs and symptoms may include a dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.
"The Mukilteo Fire Department encourages everyone to have a CO detector in their home. Businesses and other places where people gather are encouraged to have a CO detector in enclosed spaces with furnaces and water heaters."
More news from KIRO 7
- Driver changing tire along I-405 killed in hit-and-run
- Deputies seize 25,000 marijuana plants in Eastern Washington
- King County detectives investigate homicide after man's body found in river
- Green Day, Weezer, Fall Out Boy playing stadium show in Seattle
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.