The Seattle Police Department said there’s a new crime trend that’s targeting people who live in luxury apartments.
Police warn that thieves are breaking into north Seattle apartment complexes and pulling fire alarms in the middle of the night to get residents to evacuate their building.
During the evacuation, some tenants are leaving their doors unlocked and robbers are entering those dwellings, police said.
The thefts are reportedly happening in the Ballard, Phinney Ridge and University District neighborhoods.
It is also believed that the same suspects are behind the crimes, police said.
Tenants are being told to lock their doors if there’s an evacuation.
More news from KIRO 7
- 'Deadliest Catch' co-star pleads guilty to sexually assaulting teen
- Delta employees claim they were fired for "speaking Korean"
- Suspect in hit-and-run turned herself in to authorities, repeat DUI offender
- Metro bus involved in serious injury crash on I-5
- Man walks nearly 20 miles to get to job after car breaks down, boss gives him his own vehicle
© 2020 Cox Media Group