Crews continue to battle a massive wildfire that is burning in Grant County near Royal City, southeast of Vantage.
>>PHOTOS: Grant County wildfire burns thousands of acres
It started shortly before 9 p.m. Monday near Highway 243 and Wanapum Dam and spread quickly to threaten the areas of Wanapum Village and Beverly, the Southeast Washington Interagency Incident Management Team said.
As of Friday evening, the 243 Command Fire had grown to more than 20,000 acres. Officials say it is 85 percent contained.
Just before 9 p.m. Friday, fire officials said the fire had a hot spot ignite. The fire was estimated to be about 30 feet by 30 feet.
Crews from across the state are fighting the flames on steep terrain in variable winds.
So far, no homes have been damaged, but the incident management team said the fire has been difficult to mitigate due to the many natural and commercial resources threatened.
Working the fire are 400 personnel and two fire bosses, multiple helicopters, an air tanker and air attack.
A Red Cross wildfire evacuation shelter with food and water is available for evacuees at Royal Intermediate School in Royal City. The Grant County Fairgrounds are available to shelter livestock. Bedding and water is available, but no feed.
All roads have reopened all Evacuation Levels have been removed.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Here is exactly what wildfire alerts mean:
- Level 1 = Residents should be aware of the danger that exists, and monitor local media outlets for information. Residents with special needs, or those with pets or livestock, should take note and make preparations for relocating family members, pets, and livestock.
- Level 2 = Significant risk to your area, and residents should voluntarily relocate outside of the area, or be ready to leave at a moment's notice.
- Level 3 = You should leave immediately.
More news from KIRO 7
- Father charged with murder of 7-year-old found encased in concrete-filled dog carrier
- 16-year-old found dead in Lake Washington after stabbing grandmother with machete
- Seattle man faces 17th DUI charge
- Search underway for missing hikers in Mount Rainier National Park
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
Cox Media Group