Island County Sheriff’s Office Deputies arrested a sailor stationed on Whidbey Island on suspicion of rape of a child in the third degree.
The sailor, 31-year-old Ernie M. Chavez Jr., was arrested for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy. He was detained at the scene by the victim’s family until he was taken into custody at Island County Jail where he was booked and held on charges. He is appearing in court on Tuesday.
Chavez met the boy and arranged the meet up using the dating app Grindr.
More news from KIRO 7
- Steven Powell dies at Tacoma hospital, deputies say
- Southwest Airlines employee arrested for voyeurism at Sea-Tac Airport
- Goldfish crackers recalled over possible salmonella contamination
- Kent police officer killed in line of duty
- Shooting victims outraged over MGM's lawsuit against them
Cox Media Group