OUTLOOK, Wash. (AP)- A 19-year-old central Washington man has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of his father.
Benjamin Rodriguez of Outlook on Saturday was being held in the Yakima County Jail on a $250,000 bond.
Authorities arrested Rodriguez on Wednesday after responding to a report of an accidental shooting at a home and finding 43-year-old Jose Rodriguez.
He was transported to a hospital where he died. An autopsy found he had been shot in the head.
Benjamin Rodriguez told authorities they were staying at his grandparents' house and that Jose Rodriguez tried to break into a safe to get drugs.
When that failed, Benjamin Rodriguez said, his father went into a rage, shooting a gun from the porch, and told Benjamin to call police so there could be a shootout.
Benjamin Rodriguez said that instead he retrieved a .22-caliber rifle to deter his father, but shot him when his father pointed a gun at him.
More news from KIRO 7
- Bellevue police: Crossroads neighborhood experiencing 'significatnt' rise in violence
- Excessive force lawsuit says man died after Issaquah police broke his neck
- Toddler miraculously survives six-story fall from window when car breaks his fall
- Troopers searching for owner of marijuana found on should of highway
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.