SEATTLE — The federal government has cited the University of Washington after another research monkey died at its lab in April.
The Seattle Times reports the pigtail macaque monkey is the third monkey to die at the facility since February 2016.
The United States Department of Agriculture said in the latest incident, the monkey was accidentally strangled by an improperly installed chain that it pulled through the bars of its cage.
The university says it reports all incidents and takes immediate action to prevent them from reoccurring.
KIRO 7 Reporter Deedee Sun is speaking to an animal rights advocate about what he says needs to be done to stop the deaths for a live report at 5 p.m., on TV or here >>http://kiro.tv/LiveNews
More news from KIRO 7
- Nationwide CenturyLink outage impacting 911 service in parts of Washington
- Woodland Park Zoo red pandas escape enclosure
- 6 customers draw guns on men attempting to steal tools
- Deputies: Woman killed, suspect dead in Covington shooting
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
Cox Media Group