SEATAC, Wash. — The Washington State Department of Transportation says a training error is responsible for an unusual message that appeared on one of its traffic signs on I-5 Tuesday.
Reddit user Bruceinc, who first posted the photo of the sign, which said "U SUCK," commented on what he thought might have happened.
If I had to take a guess it's probably a worker messing around while doing maintenance on the sign. You can see the work trucks to the right of the sign in the photo.
The message appeared on a traffic sign on I-5 approaching SR 518 near SeaTac.
After the post caused a flurry of amused comments on Reddit, WSDOT responded, apologizing for the "inappropriate message" that was "clearly a mistake" caused by a "training error."
WSDOT says it is taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.
More news from KIRO 7
- NTSB: Blown Southwest jet engine showed 'metal fatigue'
- Barbara Bush in her own words: Quotes from the former first lady
- Car windows shot out in Yelm
- Starbucks founder Howard Schultz speaks for first time since arrest of black men at store
- Pot shop nearly robbed at gunpoint, restaurant hit later
Cox Media Group