• Man charged in random attacks outside Goodwill in Seattle

    By: KIRO 7 News Staff


    SEATTLE - A 33-year-old Seattle man was charged in King County Superior Court following a series of alleged assaults on strangers. 

    Prosecutors say Adan Yusuf Ibrahim assaulted three people around 7:30 p.m. on April 14 at the Goodwill store in Seattle’s International District. 

    Last year, Ibrahim pleaded guilty to beating a gas station clerk who needed seven stitches. Prosecutors say he also has a history of beating women, and caused a traumatic brain injury to a man he repeatedly ran over with his car.

    Police said a witness called 911 and reported seeing a man beat another man with a sharp metal stick. 

    A second witness reported seeing a man come into Goodwill and ask for someone to call 911 because he had been assaulted. 

    Upon arrival, police said they contacted a victim inside the store and the victim said he was assaulted with a wood and metal stick by a man in his late 20s wearing a puffy grey hooded coat a with khaki pants. 

    Scroll down to continue reading

    More news from KIRO 7


    While Seattle Fire Department personnel were treating the victim, police said additional witnesses reported that the suspect was assaulting others near a staircase west of the store. 

    An officer on scene reported seeing a man who matched the description the initial victim provided, and said the man entered a tent at the top of the stairs and refused to come out. 

    While officers were working to get the suspect to cooperate, they said two other men emerged and said the suspect had a gun. 

    A three hour standoff ensued with Seattle Police officers and Seattle Police SWAT.

    Police obtained a warrant for the tent and said the man eventually surrender to SWAT officers. The man was later identified as Ibrahim. 

    In their search of the tent, officers said they found clothing and a pillow with blood on them, but did not find any firearms or the stick. 

    A victim of the beating was transported to Harborview Medical Center and was later interviewed by officers. 

    The victim said he was walking up the stairs to catch a Metro Bus when he ran into Ibraham. 

    The victim told police he said “hi” to Ibrahim and tried to walk around him, but said Ibraham then punched him. 

    A struggle ensued and the victim said Ibrahim picked up metal sticks and a wooden stick and tried to hit him with it. 

    The victim said he eventually was able to stop Ibraham and ran back towards Goodwill for assistance. 

    A doctor told police the victim suffered a dislocated shoulder with an associated broken bone. 

    At the scene, police said they were later contacted by two additional assault victims. 

    One of the additional victims said he was in a tent with a friend when Ibrahim came into the tent unprovoked and began hitting him in the head – causing his ear to bleed. 

    Police said the two additional victims were the men who emerged from the tent and said Ibrahim had a gun. 

    The second additional victim said he was assaulted by Ibrahim with a stick and was hit in the back of his head. 

    Ibrahim was booked into the King County Jail on suspicion of three counts of assault and remains in the jail lieu of a $225,000 bail. 

    His arraignment, where he will enter a plea, is expected later this year. 

    Next Up: