SEATTLE - Seattle is the initial winner of the American Cities Climate Challenge, United Nations Special Envoy for Climate Action and former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced, alongside Mayor Jenny Durkan during a news conference at Kerry Park on Friday.
Bloomberg highlighted Seattle’s action plan to reduce citywide emissions as one of the main factors in receiving the award.
“Seattle has suffered from both increasingly destructive wildfires and extreme rainstorms. Taking climate action isn’t just about investing in the future - it’s about protecting our communities right now,” Durkan said. “In Seattle, we’re excited to be part of the solution, pioneering innovative policies that will both reduce our carbon footprint and benefit our city. The support of Bloomberg Philanthropies and the American Cities Climate Challenge will give us critical momentum in achieving our goals.”
More news from KIRO 7
- Pregnant mom of 4 killed in crash with boxer who livestreamed aftermath
- Boston explosions: 1 dead, at least 10 injured following gas explosions, fires
- Teen accused of suffocating 2 toddler siblings to ‘save them from hell,' court records say
- Woman fights off attackers near Seattle hotel
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.