Russell Wilson is starring in a new public service announcement on domestic violence and animal abuse for the Banfield Foundation, the nonprofit announced Wednesday.
The PSA, Safer Together, is designed to help raise awareness of the link between domestic violence and animal abuse.
“I am honored to partner with the Banfield Foundation to help create a world in which victims never have to choose between their own safety and the safety of loved ones, including their pets," Wilson said.
The nonprofit agency said in homes where domestic violence occurs, pets are often victims, too.
According to the nonprofit, "Research suggests up to 89% of pet-owning domestic violence victims report their abuser has either threatened, injured or killed the family pet, and as many as 48% of victims remain in an abusive relationship because they fear for the safety of their pet."
Earlier this year, Banfield announced it would raise awareness showing the link between domestic violence, and animal abuse and said it would commit to investing $1 million over four years through its Safer Together program.
“Through this work, we are committed to raising awareness, enabling education, and providing valuable resources, in hopes of making a measurable difference in the lives of people and pets," Kim Van Syoc, executive director of the Banfield Foundation.
Van Syoc said Wilson was chosen because he is an advocate for domestic violence prevention and awareness, and is a pet owner.
The PSA is expected to air nationally on TV and radio through the end of 2019. For those seeking information on the PSA, to apply for a grant, or to donate to the Banfield Foundation, visit BanfieldFoundation.org/SaferTogether.
More news from KIRO 7
- Dreamboyz Espresso shop opens in Capitol Hill, employs shirtless male baristas
- Grandparents found after toddler discovered on stranger's porch; parents remain missing, police say
- First space hotel set to open in 2025 with cruise ship, Disney World amenities
- Seattle business owner sends angry letter to City Council over hotel worker protection ordinance
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.