Drivers will need to share the road and plan for slowdowns as thousands of bicyclists take to state highways and local roads this weekend.
As many as 10,000 bicyclists are expected to ride in the annual Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic Saturday and Sunday, which leaves from Seattle at 5:30 a.m. Saturday.
The Washington State Department of Transportation says bicycles are considered vehicles under state law, and though they may travel slower than the speed limit, they still have a right to use the road. Read a FAQ about driving safely with bicyclists here.
In turn, bicyclists are also expected to follow Washington’s bicyclist rules of the road
The ride will start from the University of Washington's E-1 Parking Lot along Montlake Boulevard Northeast.
WSDOT said based on previous STP rides, congestion and delays are expected at the following times and locations:
- Early morning Saturday, July 14, on SR 7 in Pierce County
- Midmorning to afternoon, Saturday, July 14, on SR 507 in Thurston and Lewis counties
- Early Sunday, July 15, on SR 411 from Castle Rock to Kelso
- All day Sunday, July 15, near the SR 432 and SR 433 Lewis and Clark Bridge
The STP route follows state highways and local roads in these areas. See a map of the route at this link.
- State Route 181 – West Valley Highway in Kent
- Puyallup area county roads and city streets
- SR 7 – near Spanaway
- SR 507 – Roy to Centralia
- SR 507 and Higgins Greig Road/Fourth Street East – Roy
- SR 507 and Third Street – Yelm
- SR 507 and Mosman Avenue – Yelm
- Centralia and Chehalis city streets
- County roads (Napavine to Winlock to Vader)
- SR 506 – Vader area
- Westside Highway (becomes SR 411) – Vader to Castle Rock area
- SR 411 (also known as Westside Highway) – Castle Rock to Longview
- SR 432 – Longview Industrial area
- SR 433 – Crossing Lewis and Clark Bridge into Oregon
WSDOT and police will be directing traffic at the following locations:
Saturday, July 14
- SR 507 between Roy and Yelm (roving Washington State Patrol trooper)
- SR 507/ Third Street in Yelm (police officers directing traffic)
- SR 507/Mosman Avenue in Yelm (police officer directing traffic)
- SR 507/Tenino Trail crossing (police officers or certified flaggers directing traffic)
Sunday, July 15
- SR 411/Castle Rock area (flagger directing traffic at SR 411/ PH 10)
- SR 411 between Castle Rock and Longview (roving WSP trooper)
- SR 411/Lexington/Riverside County Park area (police officers directing traffic at SR 411 and Riverside County Park)
- SR 432/SR 433 in Longview at the Lewis and Clark Bridge (WSP, flaggers and motorcycle escort)
According to WSDOT:
Drivers on SR 432 can expect delays of up to 20 minutes from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Sunday, July 15. WSP and flaggers will stop southbound drivers on SR 433 so STP riders can cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge, escorted by Gold Wing motorcycle club members. Riders crossing the bridge on Saturday will not have a bridge escort and are expected to ride with traffic.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.