SEATTLE - An off-duty Seattle fire lieutenant was at the right place at the right time when a fire broke out at the University of Washington Medical Center last week.
On Oct. 2, Lt. LeRoy Sisley was visiting his wife on the seventh floor of the hospital when a fire alarm went off on the first floor.
Sisley decided to rush down to the first floor to investigate.
When he got there, he saw a crowd of people running away, according the Seattle Fire Department.
Sisley discovered a storage room filled with smoke.
“Some lithium batteries had ignited, creating flames that quickly spread through the room,” officials with the department said.
Sisley, who always carries his department radio with him, radioed dispatch about the fire and crews responded.
Sisley used a fire extinguisher and closed the door to control the fire.
A building engineer came down to help Sisley put out the fire until crews arrived.
On KIRO 7 at 6 p.m., Lt. LeRoy Sisley walks through the hospital with reporter Rob Munoz and describes how he jumped into action.
More news from KIRO 7
- How an I-405 driver unwittingly slowed down suspect in a 22-mile high-speed police chase
- Western Washington to experience coldest temperatures of fall Thursday morning
- Cautious reaction to a million dollars in bus tickets for homeless people
- Report on what caused 26 power poles to fall in Tukwila cites decay, weather
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at email@example.com
© 2019 Cox Media Group.