A 76-year-old hiker was found dead in Mount Rainier National Park on Thursday.
Otto Steffin of Mercer Island set out to hike Mazama Ridge on Wednesday. His family reported him missing at 8 a.m. Thursday.
Search teams were able to narrow their search thanks to a note he'd left detailing his hiking plan. Crews found his body in the Paradise River drainage near Fourth Crossing about 4:45 p.m.
Scroll down to continue reading
More news from KIRO 7
- Fife pimping suspect faces rape charge in Pierce County
- Police say neighbor forced family to recite Pledge of Allegiance, do chores
- Iconic Seattle motel sign changed to read "3 Cheers for Heroin"
- Teen in custody after road rage incident in Kirkland
- Seattle moving forward with 'fixed mobile' safe injection site
The cause of death has not been determined Friday.
Steffin was an experienced hiker who carried the 10 essentials, including a map and compass, park officials said. Mazama Ridge is a popular six-mile hike in the park's Paradise area.