The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said it’s investigating an apparent shooting that left a man dead at an unauthorized homeless encampment near Steele Street South and 99th Street Court South.
Deputies said they received the 911 call around 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The victim was found dead at the encampment.
The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the victim Sunday as 42-year-old Daniel Stueart.
It’s not yet clear what led to the shooting or who reported it but investigators said they’re working to identify a suspect. No arrests have been made.
KIRO 7 spoke with a woman who recorded cellphone video of deputies investigating into the night. She said she knew of Daniel through mutual friends.
"It's a sad story because this guy has children,” said Breanna Saing. “Would literally give you the last dollar he had."
Saing, who lives nearby, said the violence makes her worried about her family’s safety.
"I have children and they will run around on their longboards and stuff and I don't feel like a can let them be outside unattended anymore because something like that could happen so close to home,” said Saing.
An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.
More news from KIRO 7
- Cowlitz County officer killed in shooting; police looking for person of interest
- Maple Valley burglar captured on surveillance camera
- Man who raped fiancée’s dog gets 60-day sentence: judge wishes for more jail time
- Seattle loosening up regulations for sidewalk cafes
- Do you have an investigative story tip? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2019 Cox Media Group.